2nd December 2011, marks the 40th National Day of the United Arab Emirates (UAE) a federation of seven emirates which constitute Abu Dhabi, Ajman, Dubai, Fujairah, Ras al – Khaimah, Sharjah and Umm al- Quwain.From a humble beginning of pearl diving to a unprecedented world stage global transformation.
As an OFW who worked in Dubai for almost 4 years, I’m happy to say that I am blessed (and other Filipino would also share my thoughts) to have landed and worked in the UAE – a place were most expat have found this as a second home. The UAE may have been put down by the economic difficulties caused by the financial crisis but it has shown that it can stand still and we as Filipino working here should be grateful that it has still caters us and continued to enjoy not just work but a fair living to this country.
For this blog, I wish to highlights some trivia and unique facts about UAE
- Archeological excavation fount out that UAE has a civilization way back to 4000 BC
- UAE is the 4th largest exporters of crude oil in the region after KSA, Iran and Kuwait
- Total area of UAE is 83,600 sq km including surrounding islands
- At least more than 5 million tourists visited Dubai every year
- January 4 2010 marks the official opening of the world’s tallest building Burj Khalifa in Dubai
- In September 2009 – Dubai Metro was officially inaugurated.
- Burj Al Arab hotel in Dubai – is considered world’s ‘seven star hotel”
- In 2005, Dubai Mall of the Emirates was officially opened. Famous with its indoor ski slope
- The Dubai Mall is the world's largest shopping mall based on total area and fifth largest by gross leasable area.
- Al Faidi fort is the oldest building in Dubai.
- UM Al Quwain has the lowest population among the rest of the emirates with 49, 159 estimate.
- The smallest emirates in UAE is Ajman covering an area of 259 sq km
- Abu Dhabi is the largest of the emirates accounting an estimate of 85 percent of the country’s land
- Sheik Zayed Grand Mosque, located in Abu Dhabi can hold more than 40,000 worshippers with a 22412 sqm which is equivalent of about five foot ball field
- Sharjah in 1998 was crowned the Capital of Arab Culture and will be again in 2014.
- In Fujairah lies the oldest mosque in the UAE suggested it was built around 1446
- Rasa L Khaimah – means “the top of the tent” as it shape resemble and location at the northern tip of UAE
- UAE is the founding member of GCC (Gulf Cooperation Center)
source: 7 Days Special Publication for UAE Anniversary 2 Dec 2011
I join the rest of the people in celebrating this day and with hope for the continued success of the UAE and its people.